SETFIA online course for fishers
SETFIA believes that training and development is of critical importance in achieving our strategic goals. The Association has run two courses called Implement and Monitor Environmentally Sustainable Work Practices (SFIEMS301A) and Manage and Control Fishing Operations (SFIFISH402c). 121 qualifications were issued to trawl fishermen and 160 fishers from other fisheries. Both courses were TAFE accredited and contribute to a Certificate III in Fishing Operations. The courses produced immediate results with significant increases in the quality of reporting and set the cultural groundwork for initiatives like the program to reduce seabird interactions, the transition to online logbooks and the
co-management of eastern pink ling and snapper.
SETFIA is currently offering two free on-line courses. Both are TAFE accredited and, like the previous units, contribute to the achievement of a Certificate III in Fishing Operations.
1. Understanding Marine Reserves (SFISHIP201C Comply with organisational and legislative requirements).
This course would be of benefit to all State and Commonwealth licensed fishermen fishing in or around the South East Marine Reserve Network. It covers:
– the South-East marine reserve network,
– the role of marine reserves and who manages them
– the difference between marine reserves and other fishery closures
– the different types of marine reserves
– Zoning (where vessels can fish)
– Class approval
– Compliance and penalties
2. Act to Prevent Interaction with Protected Species (SFIEMS302B Act to Prevent Interaction with Protected Species).
This course is applicable for all senior crew, managers and office staff in the South East Trawl Fishery. It covers:
– Methods to protect and identify seabirds, fur seals, sharks and rays
– Rebuilding species and individual species management arrangements
– Relevant Acts
– Handling practices
– Social licence
Both on-line courses are free of charge because they are funded by AFMA and Parks Australia. If fishermen want to compete Understanding Marine Reserves and or Act to Prevent Interaction with Protected Species, they can contact:
Danait on 0427 138 167 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon Boag 0428 141 591 or via email email@example.com
Send us a message on social media: Twitter @SETFIA or Facebook/southeasttrawl